Sunday 30 December 2012

2012 Highlights


Having not only began my music blog, audio-ghost, but also this general media blog only this year, I have been able to discover some true gems within music, film and otherwise. My iTunes has doubled in content and my film list is overflowing with film favourites as well as films that I am yet to see. In celebration of this as well as the beginning of a new year, I thought I would bring you on a quick trip down media-lane of the past year with a few of my 2012 favourites...

  1. Bands/Collaborations: Watch The Throne, The Black Keys, Portugal The Man, The Neighbourhood, The Maccabees, Alabama Shakes, GOOD Music.
  2. Male solo-artists: Frank Ocean, Ben Howard, Jack White, Lupe Fiasco, Kendrick Lemar
  3. Female solo-artists: Florence & the Machine, Lana Del Rey
  4. Album: Watch The Throne (indefinitely)
  5. Songs: I still adore each and every song featured within my monthly playlists and since they are all fairly recent posts, I can’t really bring myself to name many others.
  6. Music Video: Lost In The World – Kanye West, directed by the wonderful Ruth Hogben who is incredibility talented in portraying a sense of motion and distance within her work and allowing dance to evolve through a black and white shot.
  7. Comedian: As you may have already read, I have been loving all of Chris Rocks past work and have become a huge fan of his.
  8. Television Show: Upon the recommendation of a friend, whilst it is a show that has been on air for quite a few years now, Californication has rapidly become my 2nd favourite show (Lost, being oceans away as the 1st). I was worried that my previous association of David Duchovny being Mulder from The X Files would block my ability to see him as a whole new character but he took on this role with such a slickness and ease that really enhances Hank Moody as a character. Every episode, whilst only 30 minutes long which is a somewhat foreign tie frame for anything other than a sit-com, is just as humorous and light as one another and what I probably love the most about the entire show, is its head-on “yeah this is L.A., and so what?” approach that allows the characters to find themselves in ridiculous situations without appearing over dramatic nor trying to be unnecessarily in-depth.
  9. Films: These are films that have not necessarily been released this year as I don’t often get the chance to go to the cinema but moreso the films that I have seen this past year (whether for the 1st time or not) and recommend… The Devils Double (2011), Drive (2011), Oceans 11 (2001), American Gangster (2007), Reserviour Dogs (1992), Benny & Joon (1993), Funny Games U.S. (2007), The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011), The Road To Gauntanamo (2006), Sin City (2005), Life In A Day (2011) and Snatch. (2000)
  10. I thought I would also add in a quick list of current film anticipations (whether DVD or Cinema releases) for 2013: Django Unchained, Looper, Frankenweenie, Gangster Squad, Seven Psychopaths, Imaginaerum, The Man With The Iron Fists, Killing Them Softly, Cloud Atlas, Now You See Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment